Heritage Pioneer Days 2013
It’s time to step back into the Past Lane at Heritage Pioneer Days at the Union County Heritage Museum this Saturday. It’s always a fun-filled living history weekend as the event starts on Thursday and continues through Saturday, with Thursday and Friday set aside for classes and Saturday open for the general public. There will hands-on activities, contests and games for everyone with free boiled and roasted peanuts and sassafras tea. And it’s free!
David Leathers food stylist will be featured at a Pumpkin Carving Workshop at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19. and following that there will be a Pumpkin Carving Contest. Judging at 1:30. All entries in pumpkin carving entries need adults to help. Cost for pumpkin and contest is $5. Other free contests include at 10 a.m. Pea Thumping, 10:45: Corn Shelling; 11:30- Cross Cut Sawing; 12:15 – Sack Race; 1 p.m. Stick Horse Rodeo; 1:30 – Egg and Spoon Race. Each Event will award trophies and ribbons. Pioneer Days offers living history in may ways reflecting the rural culture of our region.
“Thanks to our Community Partners and volunteers we are starting our 12th year of Heritage Pioneer Days. Everyone who attends can usually find something that they enjoy. We will have knife and hatchet throwers, blacksmithing, textile arts, one room school teaching, tours of the caboose, sutlers (vintage vendors) – the list is too long to name,” said jill Smith, museum director.
“We are excited this year to be able to open the Union County LINK Exhibit that the students have created featuring approximately 200 family trees in their genealogical research. That will open at 9 on Saturday as well. So there is really a lot going on for people to enjoy.”
There are lots of hands-on activities for children to help them learn the resourcefulness of people in earlier times. The Union County Schools LINK Genealogical Exhibit will also open on Saturday at 9 a.m. inside the museum. For more information call 662-538-0014 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...