by Dennis Clayton
One of the most disheartening things I saw this past week was the near empty stands across the field on the visitors’ side during the football game on Friday. I have zoomed in to count heads and I see around 30 people sitting in the stands. That is depressing. It is inexcusable.
I realize that times are hard for some, but the lack of support for the opponent on Friday was tough to swallow. If there is one thing our young people need today from parents and the older generation, it is attention and support. I applaud those who did come down to cheer on their team, thank goodness they made a showing, but how do these players feel when they look up into the stands and see only aluminum shining back at them?
I am thankful and also a bit prideful to call Union County my home for my entire 55 years on this earth. I am also thankful and proud of our fans, families, and friends that come out to the prep sporting venues to support our teams. Union County people always have and hopefully always will support their young people. It may be church activities and programs, sports, beauty revues or pageants, band competitions, awards programs or graduation ceremonies, to name a few, but our locals do show support. No matter the occasion, our folks come out in support of our area youth.
I would guess that at this phase in their life, many of our young people would probably not say much about it, but it does make a difference when they know they have people cheering them on. It’s not cool to thank the parents for their dedication and sacrifice to make the games at this stage in life perhaps. One day however, most will look back and will appreciate what mom and dad did to follow them and their athletic careers. It may not occur until they have children of their own and begin a journey of their own, but it will come.
It may not be my place to do this, but I just want to thank every person that cares enough for our area youth, that they regularly come out and show their support. It doesn’t matter what the sport or activity, it doesn’t matter what the record is, please keep coming because the players need you and the coaches need you too.
My performer of the week recognition goes to all our area youth that participated in #MSGlowingforChrist whether it was at Monday’s rally at the courthouse or in the carrying of the cross. Thank you for your stand for Christ and your willing participation in this state-wide event that will canvass our 82 counties in 82 days. The Mississippi Fellowship of Christian Athletes is actively involved in this endeavor. It was a blessing to see our Union County youth involved in this powerful witness.
Follow Dennis Clayton on Twitter – @denclayton
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
east union East Union baseball East Union Basketball East Union Football East Union High School East Union Lady Urchins East Union Softball East Union Urchins featured ingomar Ingomar Baseball Ingomar Basketball Ingomar Falcons Ingomar High School Ingomar Lady Falcons Ingomar Softball Mitchell column Mitchell opinion MS Myrtle Myrtle Basketball Myrtle Hawks myrtle high school Myrtle Lady Hawks Myrtle Softball New Albany New Albany Basketball New Albany Bulldogs new albany football New Albany High School New Albany Lady Bulldogs New Albany soccer New Albany Softball sports Union County union county prep sports Union County Softball Union County sports West Union West Union Baseball West Union Basketball West Union Eagles West Union High School West Union Lady Eagles West Union Softball