Sunday afternoon was a time to celebrate community as we had the grand opening ceremonies in New Albany, Houston and Pontotoc for the Tanglefoot Trail.
The more than 44-mile paved trail starting in New Albany and ending in Houston already is attracting lots of walkers, bikers, joggers and just-plain nature lovers.
The trail, once followed by explorer Meriwether Lewis, later became the route for the narrow-gauge railway built by Col. William C. Falkner, great-grandfather of William Faulkner. It is named after one of the engines, the “Tanglefoot,” used on the railroad.
Crowds turned out in all three cities for the grand opening. In New Albany, the celebration fittingly was led by Betsey Hamilton, past chairman of the GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District. Her devotion, passion and hard work to the cause of creating the trail cannot be overstated.
Many thousands of visitors are expected to come annually to enjoy the trail and our community. A good number already have; we see them with their bikes in downtown nearly every day.
The next step is to move forward with an appropriate trailhead building with restrooms near downtown. That too will come.
Our take away from the Sunday ceremony was the reminder of what communities pulling together can do. Three counties and six communities came together on this project and all of the communities and counties will benefit, as will their citizens, who will enjoy a better quality of life.
It came out well and we all should take pride in it.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...