Mike Speck, 52
Michael D. “Mike” Speck, 52, of Shannon, died suddenly Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013, at his home.
He was born Oct. 22, 1961, in Aurora, Ill., to G.W. Speck Jr. and Itasca Smith Speck Hester. He was a graduate of Myrtle High School and studied music at Mississippi State University. He married Sherri Copeland Grant on Dec. 28, 2006, and worked the past several years as a supervisor in the framing department of VIP Cinema Seating in New Albany, where he was employed at the time of his death. He loved his family, his VIP family and his pet dog, Lucy.
As a teenager he played the guitar and drums with the Victory Life Trio. He was a professional musician, having the gift of playing many musical instruments, singing and song writing. He was back-up, lead guitarist and drummer with David and the Giants, performing with such groups as the Gaithers, Reba McIntyre and many other famous artists while working in Nashville; more recently forming his band, Mike Speck and Southern Thunder, who toured in the 1990s and his most recent band, Alias. He also worked as Lee County Animal Control Officer for several years. He enjoyed WWE Monday night wrestling.
A memorial service celebrating his life was held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, in the Tupelo chapel of Holland Funeral Directors with Bro. Dan Hester officiating. Burial was private.
Survivors include his wife, Sherri Grant Speck of Shannon; mother, Itasca Hester (Bro. Dan Hester) of Guntown; his children, Michael David Speck II of Blue Mountain; Angel Speck, Devon Garcia, Destiny Crossen, Trea Shelby, Shon Grant and Madison Bogan, all of Shannon, Natosha Lesley of Saltillo and Bobbi Stutsy (Shaun) of Pontotoc; brothers, Jimmy Speck (Sue) and Gary Speck (Charlotte), all of Myrtle; sister, Kathy Hall of Charlestown, Ind.; 10 grandchildren; and a host of nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his father; two sisters, Peggy Roberts and Connie Smithey; and two brothers-in-law, Billy Copeland and Kipper Kyle Copeland.
Honorary pallbearers were associates of VIP Cinema Seating.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series