Norris Strickland, 80
Norris Strickland, 80, of Golden, died Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, at his home.
He was born March 14, 1933, in Franklin County, Ala., to Clinton Aubrey Strickland and Flora Elizabeth Garrison. He was a communicant of All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Tupelo. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1952 in Memphis, Tenn. He was stationed in Mobile, Ala., Iceland, Presque Isle, Bangor, Maine, and Niagara Falls, N.Y. In 1961, he returned to Franklin County, Ala., and became a farmer and hog producer with his father and brother-in-law. In 1970, he returned to school and for the next 25 years he was a tool and die mechanic at Walker in Aberdeen. He retired from Tecumseh Products in Tupelo. With his sons, Robert and Douglas, he operated a portable sawmill until his health failed.
He is survived by his wife and companion of 58 years, Darcy Strickland of Golden; his children, William Strickland of Golden, Catherine Carter (Kenny) of Hamilton, Ala., Mary Boyle (Tim) of Shaker Heights, Ohio, Margaret VanLandingham (Wayne) of New Albany, Barbara Thorn of Hamilton, Ala., Robert Strickland (Susan) of Red Bay, Ala., Douglas Strickland of Golden and Deborah Orrick (John) of Tupelo; 23 grandchildren, Anne Marie Walker, Rebecca Boeding, Katherine Pharr, Billy Strickland, Robin Mears, Richard Maggerise, Robert Boyle, Andrew Boyle, Colin Boyle, David VanLandingham, Elizabeth VanLandingham, Brittany Thorn, Briana Thorn, Elaina Strickland, Duncan Strickland, Kelly Strickland, Sophia Strickland, Ronald Strickland, Dathan Strickland, Austin Strickland, James Strickland, Josephine Orrick and John Thomas Orrick; 14 great-grandchildren, Samantha, Hailey, Hannah, Alexander, Bradley, Connor, Brayden, Sarah, Anthony “A. J.,” Landen, Will, Athena, Jase and Caleb; one brother, Willis Delbert; and one sister, Shirley Draddy.
He was preceded in death by his parents; infant son, Leonard; one sister, Nell Beany; and one brother, Horace Glenn Strickland.
Services were at 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Tupelo.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to Saints Brew, c/o All Saints’ Episcopal Church, 608 W. Jefferson St., Tupelo, MS 38804.
Expressions of sympathy may be left at www.peguesfuneralhome.com.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series