November is here, and with it comes a greater probability of severe weather. Even though we think of tornadoes in early spring, the fact is we have almost as many in November in Mississippi as any other time.
We again want to suggest two things to help make sure that you are provided the latest weather information in case of emergency.
First, we suggest you sign up for the code RED system if you have not already done so. Two years ago Union County adopted this plan that provides sort of a reverse 911 calling system. Instead of us calling 911 in case of emergency, the system calls us. The system is available to residents of Union County under an agreement between the Union County Board of Supervisors and the Three Rivers Planning and Development District.
The system will call land-line telephone numbers, cell phone numbers and send text messages and e-mails. There is no limit to the number of phone numbers that can be dialed. And you can limit the messages to tornados or expand it to include severe thunderstorms or other emergencies.
We think it’s a great system, and it’s free. You have to sign up online or have some one do it for you. The online address is trpdd.com/codered/. Then click on Union County.
A second suggestion, in case you want a double warning or you are wary of the automated calling system, is a weather radio. They are programmable and are not very expensive. They are trustworthy as long as you remember to keep fresh batteries in them. If you don’t know how to program your radio, the county emergency management office will help you.
Don’t wait until spring. Take precautions now.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...