East Union at Byers preview
by Dennis Clayton
East Union will travel to H.W. Byers in the first round of 2A football playoffs on Friday. The Byers offense is averaging 261 yards per game rushing and 96 yards per game passing. The Lions are averaging over 32 points a game while holding opponents to an average of 13.6 points per game.
Byers is led by quarterback Anthony Rubin, who has passed for 967 yards with 63 completions on 99 attempts. Rubin has completed 64% of his passes and has thrown for 14 touchdowns. Rubin has also rushed for 473 yards on 64 carries with 5 touchdowns.
Marquis Moore leads Byers in rushing with 139 carries for 1417 yards and 14 touchdowns. Rubin’s 473 yards rushing is second on the team.
Rubin’s favorite targets in receiving are Ronnie Dennis with 21 catches for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns and Montavious Reynolds with 19 catches for 373 yards and 7 touchdowns.
Joseph Gomez leads the team defensively with 130 total tackles and also has recorded 13 sacks on the season. Byers is 10-0 for the season.
East Union will counter with their potent rushing attack that averages over 214 yards per game and their passing game averages 35 yards per game. East Union is averaging 26 points a game while allowing 24 points per game.
Unofficial results have Blake Spruill leading the Urchins in rushing. Spruill averages over 146 yards per game on the ground. Jamie McCullough averages 58 yards per game. Chase Hall has a rushing average of 42 yards per game and Jacob Elder 41 yards per game average.
D.J. Armstrong leads the Urchin offense at quarterback and has an average of 35 yards passing and 16 yards rushing per game. East Union is 7-3 for the season. Kickoff is 7:00 at H.W. Byers.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...