Ingomar splits with Pine Grove in hoops opener
by Dennis Clayton
Ingomar and Pine Grove squared off in the season opener for each team and came away with a split decision as Pine Grove took the girls contest 48-42 and Ingomar won the boys nightcap 83-51.
In the boys game, Pine Grove opened with an early lead, but the Falcons roared back to take a 23-10 lead after a quarter. Sam Cobb and Laquain Foster had six points apiece to pace the Falcons during the quarter.
Second quarter play saw the Falcons drain three 3-pointers to extend their lead to at the half to 43-22. Ingomar would hit eight 3-pointers during the contest.
Ingomar came back from the half and put up their biggest point total for a quarter as they torched the nets for 26 points and stretched their advantage to 69-38. The Falcons breezed through the rest of the game and took the 83-51 win.
Leading scorers for the Falcons were Joseph Broom 16, Laquain Foster 12, Alex Jeter 11 and Kelton Hall 11. Pine Grove was led by Garrett Barnes with 20 and Jordan Staggs 11.
Pine Grove took the early advantage in the girls game, but the young Lady Falcons fought back to make the contest close. Pine Grove led 17-6 after one quarter. Ingomar came back and had the slight advantage in the second quarter as the teams broke for half with Pine Grove leading 27-17.
The Lady Falcons cooled off in the third quarter and Pine Grove expanded their lead to 15 points as they lead 37-22 after the quarter.
However Ingomar owned the fourth quarter and closed the gap to 44-42 after hitting a 3-pointer with 39.3 seconds left. Pine Grove was able to fight off the youthful Lady Falcons and gain the win 48-42.
Leading scorers for Ingomar were: Mallory Russell with 12 and Lauren Thompson added 8. Leading scorers for Pine Grove were Akins and Fryar with 10 points.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...