Climate controlled or elements of nature, it’s still sports
By Dennis Clayton
Now we turn our full attention to the winter sports season with this week’s previews of our local basketball teams and soccer teams. After the football game Friday night I was told that now I could “Go watch games in a climate controlled environment.”
Well yes, I guess I can and I will attend many basketball games, but I had to mention that I am still quite the outdoors person who braves the elements of winter to view the game of soccer. I have a great deal of interest in Amory soccer and will attend several New Albany soccer matches as well. I have 19 years experience with the weather and I have learned how to layer the clothing. I still get cold, but I have learned to adapt.
I want to thank Jay Tidwell for his hard work with our previews. Jay always does an excellent job in covering our teams in the area and his knowledge of the various sports and the history involved always lends a special insight into his reporting. Jay cares about our athletes, coaches and schools as evidenced in his articles. I am honored to be able to share space in our publication with him. Thanks again Jay! We appreciate you and your work. I only wish I could write half as well as you do.
I also want to thank our coaches for taking the time to sit down with us and tell us about their players, schedules and divisions. We were a bit later getting around to see everyone due to football playoffs and heavy schedules with our main jobs. It didn’t help that I was dragging around a bit sickly with allergies or something of the sort for days on my part.
I was a bit worried that I might have damaged my welcome with the season having already gotten started, but it seemed that most coaches were glad that they had a couple of opportunities to see their teams in action rather than scrimmaging and wondering how they would perform in a real game situation. Most were able to point out some things that had caught their eye whether it be scoring, rebounding or that player coming off the bench to fill a role.
So I will now hand off this preview section to you, our readers, and hope this will be of help to you as you follow Union County prep sports this winter. I hope this will be refrigerator material for our parents and grandparents. I know we always enjoyed posting the clippings there when our sons “made the paper.” Hopefully our athletes can make use of this as well as we have made every attempt to name everyone that is on the respective teams. It doesn’t matter if all are not starters, someone has to work every day in practice to prepare those starters for the games. I fail to mention these guys that play on the scout team or the second team. Your team’s success is based on how well you help prepare them for the next opponent. Never take for granted your role as a member of your team.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...