New Albany sweeps Corinth in division opener
By Dennis Clayton
New Albany squared off with division foe Corinth on Tuesday to determine which team would gain the early edge in the division standings. This night belonged to the Bulldogs and Lady Bulldogs as New Albany boys won 2-1 in OT and New Albany girls won 4-1. Both teams are 1-0 in division.
New Albany 4, Corinth 1 (girls)
Corinth took an early 1-0 lead as Brianna Scobey scored on a deflection in front of the Lady Bulldog goal in the 17th minute. New Albany had a couple of good looks at the goal as Kristen Olson’s shot from the top of the box just sailed high over the crossbar and the Corinth keeper made a great save on Hannah Anderson’s attempt.
Martha Vance Alef found the net in the 36th minute as she arched a curving shot from the left of the box and it cleared the leaping keeper for New Albany’s first goal. Hannah Anderson’s goal in the 38th minute off a Kristen Olson assist, put the Lady Bulldogs up 2-1 at the half.
Alef scored her second goal of the night off a deflection from the Corinth keeper in the 44th minute. Katie Brooks netted New Albany’s final goal from about 20 yards out to up the lead to 4-1 and the final margin of victory.
Senior Hannah Anderson said “I’m really excited (about win) and we had two starters out. We were really needing this win because they (Corinth) are our biggest rivals. We really needed our younger players to step up because we needed to win. Corinth was out to play hard tonight because they wanted this. We just played harder than they did.”
New Albany 2, Corinth 1 (boys)
New Albany and Corinth battled through 58 scoreless minutes before Bryce Collins fired a shot from the top of the box past a diving Corinth keeper to out the Bulldogs up 1-0. New Albany appeared to have the win within grasp, but Corinth scored in the 78th minute as Graves Marshall found the net and extended the game into overtime.
After 20 minutes of overtime, the contest still stood at 1-1, thus sending the match to penalty kicks to decide the winner. New Albany keeper Mason Chapin turned away all but one shot and New Albany converted each opportunity to gain the advantage in PKs.
Coach Caryl Vogel said after the win “Last year in our first game in division against Corinth, we had the same situation. We went up 1-0 and they (Corinth) scored in the last minute of the game and we went into overtime and they beat us in overtime. This year we went up 1-0 and they came back and scored at the end of the game and I was thinking please not again! We held in there in overtime and a lot of these boys played over a hundred minutes tonight and I can’t say enough about our goal keeper, Mason Chapin. He’s a sophomore and he came up huge for us tonight and we couldn’t have done it without him. It was just a great effort by our entire team.”
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...