We like it. That’s our short response to the proposal for construction of a welcome center at the New Albany trailhead of the recently opened Tanglefoot Trail.
Architect William Mills and Sam Creekmore of Creekmore Landscaping have presented a plan to the New Albany Board of Aldermen to build a welcome center just to the northeast of the Union County Library.
Putting the welcome center there would eliminate the street that runs from near the viaduct on Main Street to the library and then crosses the trail. That would allow for expansion of the parking lot that serves the library and the new trailhead by 20 spaces.
An added bonus in the proposal would revamp the city owned parking lot with landscaping and a sidewalk on Carter Avenue to connect the whole area to Main Street and downtown. The project includes covering the unsightly ditch that runs alongside the current city lot.
Mayor Tim Kent said the project likely would cost between $300,000 and $500,000, with about $150,000 for the trailhead building. The building would include an indoor meeting area, restrooms and an attractive outdoor area.
He said no public money is currently available for the project, but grant money may become available to help with the building and some city tourism money will be freed up when the last $64,000 payment on the Civic Center is paid in January.
We think the plan has a lot of merit, both for serving the thousands of expected Tanglefoot Trail users, and for enhancing our downtown with attractive parking and green space.
Let’s go for it.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert