We like it. That’s our short response to the proposal for construction of a welcome center at the New Albany trailhead of the recently opened Tanglefoot Trail.
Architect William Mills and Sam Creekmore of Creekmore Landscaping have presented a plan to the New Albany Board of Aldermen to build a welcome center just to the northeast of the Union County Library.
Putting the welcome center there would eliminate the street that runs from near the viaduct on Main Street to the library and then crosses the trail. That would allow for expansion of the parking lot that serves the library and the new trailhead by 20 spaces.
An added bonus in the proposal would revamp the city owned parking lot with landscaping and a sidewalk on Carter Avenue to connect the whole area to Main Street and downtown. The project includes covering the unsightly ditch that runs alongside the current city lot.
Mayor Tim Kent said the project likely would cost between $300,000 and $500,000, with about $150,000 for the trailhead building. The building would include an indoor meeting area, restrooms and an attractive outdoor area.
He said no public money is currently available for the project, but grant money may become available to help with the building and some city tourism money will be freed up when the last $64,000 payment on the Civic Center is paid in January.
We think the plan has a lot of merit, both for serving the thousands of expected Tanglefoot Trail users, and for enhancing our downtown with attractive parking and green space.
Let’s go for it.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...