Lady Urchins fight back
- It was a close call for East Union’s Lady Urchins who saw a win slip away on a last minute surge by the Potts Camp Cardinals for a 57-56 final.
The Urchins secured a win over the Cardinals in the final game of the night, with a 56-43 tally.
“You always wonder what could I have done differently as a coach in games like these,” Lady Urchins Head Coach Josh Blythe said, “It really comes down to a pass here, a freethrow there and we walk out with the win. But I’m proud of these girls, they fought hard against a team who have beaten us by 40 before.”
Tianna Castillo led in scoring for the Urchins with 16 points while Denira Shawver and Calla Basil both had 11.
Jade Anderson also finished in double digits with 11 points.
Potts Camp’s Hayley Davis led all scorers with 21 points while Jakayla Johnson pulled in 16 points and Dana Jefferies 12.
Davis’ and Jefferies both provided clutch shots in the closing minutes to tie the game at 52 and 55 with a two-pointer from Monesha Pegues securing the one point win in the final minute.
In the boys game, the Urchins opened with a 12-9 advantage before moving into the half with a 22-20 lead over the Cardinals.
The Urchins would hold a steady lead for much of the second half, with Potts Camp only cutting into a single digit deficit on two occasions.
“It’s a good win, but it still wasn’t pretty. We have moments where we look good and then we lose them on both sides of the ball so we have to focus on getting better,” Urchins Head Coach Tim McDonald said, “Division play starts back on Friday, so our time is running out.”
East Union plays host to Division 2-2A foe New Site on Friday.
(G) Potts Camp 57, East Union 56
Potts Camp 13 20 12 12 — 57
East Union 18 17 8 13 — 56
Potts Camp (57): Hayley Davis 21,Jakayla Johnson 16, Dana Jefferies 12.
East Union (56): Tianna Castillo 16, Denira Shawver 13, Calla Basil 13, Jade Anderson 11, Karmon Skelley 3.
(B) East Union 56, Potts Camp 43
Potts Camp 9 11 12 11 — 43
East Union 12 10 15 19 — 56
Potts Camp (43): Xavion Allen 25.
East Union (56): Lane Plunk 19, Tray Davis 13, DJ Armstrong 8, Ty McDonald 6, Chase Hall 4, Dustin Hall 3, Jonathan Valle 2.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...