Gambling on industry
New Albany and Union County have a decision to make about how competitive we want to be in trying to lure new manufacturers.
At the moment, the community has about run out of quality ready-to-use space to accommodate the needs of new industries.
Phil Nanney, executive director of the Union County Development Association, told the New Albany Board of Aldermen last week that he hopes to have an occupant for the last good industrial building the group has to offer. He suggested the city and county work to construct at least one spec building to be able to offer prospective industries.
In addition to the lack of quality new space, existing space often is in buildings with relatively low ceilings designed for furniture manufacturing. Today’s manufacturers often need more vertical space than the typical building here offers.
The most logical way to construct a spec building would be a city/county partnership with a loan from the state development association or some similar entity.
Spec buildings, in which the shell of a building is constructed, often leaving the floor and the interior unfinished, provide a tremendous advantage in trying lure a new industry. But they also constitute a genuine risk for local governments.
Once the building is constructed, payments have to be made on the loan. If the building were to sit idle for several years, the payments could be a drain on the budgets.
It’s all a gamble. Get a significant industry and we win big. Otherwise, we suffer. It’s a hard choice, but at least one that we think should be analyzed thoroughly. Success often depends on having sites, and even a building, ready to go when the opportunity presents itself.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...