Appoint top school jobs
The Mississippi House has again blocked an effort to allow voters in school districts with elected superintendents to vote on whether they want to continue that system.
The House defeated 66 to 53 a plan that would have allowed voters to decide whether to have an appointed superintendent hired by the school board. Currently, most city districts have an appointed school board and superintendent and most county systems have elected superintendents and school boards.
Mississippi currently has about 60 elected superintendents, including Ken Basil here in Union County, out of only 145 in the entire country.
We have nothing against Basil. We generally think he has done a quality job in managing our county schools.
But when it’s time to get a superintendent, we don’t think a district should be limited to someone who lives in the district and can raise the money to conduct an election.
This is a professional job and districts should be able to recruit the best man or woman for it, not rely on the luck of the draw on who is the best politician. Often, talented educators don’t want to be politicians.
We are particularly disappointed that our local state representative, Margaret Ellis Rogers of New Albany, joined those in defeating the proposal.
There’s a reason why practically the whole country appoints their school superintendents. We think our state is out of step on yet another important educational issue.
About New Albany Gazette
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...