Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations
Angie Wilson, a labor and delivery nurse for the Women’s Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do.
Wilson was nominated by a former patient who praised Wilson for her outstanding care and compassion.
Nurses like Wilson are nominated by patients and their families for the DAISY Award, and from those nominations, nursing leadership at Baptist Union County selects nurses to receive the award.
At a presentation in front of the nurses, colleagues, family, and visitors, Wilson received a certificate and a sculpture. The sculpture, title “A Healer’s Touch,” is hand-carved by artists of the Shona Tribe in Africa.
“It is truly an honor to recognize Angie for her compassion and professionalism,” said Randy White, chief nursing officer at Baptist Union County. “Angie’s genuine concern for each patient exemplifies what a true DAISY award winner should be.”
The not-for-profit DAISY Foundation, based in Glen Ellen, Calif., was established by family members in memory of J. Patrick Barnes. Barnes died at age 33 in late 1999 from complications of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, an auto-immune disease.
The extraordinary care Barnes and his family received from nurses while he was ill led to the creation of the DAISY Award.
Baptist Union County is a 153-bed hospital that offers a variety of health care services, including labor and delivery, outpatient and laser surgery and a 24-hour emergency room. In 2008, the hospital renovated its Women’s Center, which features 10 labor/delivery/recovery suites, two surgical suites for Caesarean sections, a level II nursery for sick babies and a 28-bed postpartum unit. Baptist Union County also offers one of Mississippi’s only partial open MRI machines accredited by the American College of Radiology.
For more information about Baptist Union County, please call 662-538-7631 or visit unioncounty.baptistonline.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- New Furniture Academy will give workers head start toward jobs, better pay January 18, 2017
- The Playhouse January 19, 2017
- Lady Bulldogs shutout Caledonia in playoff opener January 24, 2017
- Robertson’s Lady Challenge celebrates 20th annual tournament January 24, 2017
- Falcons fall in closing seconds to Bearcats January 24, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...