Baptist Union County recognizes nurse who performs above and beyond expectations
Angie Wilson, a labor and delivery nurse for the Women’s Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, recently received the DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses, an award given in appreciation of the work nurses do.
Wilson was nominated by a former patient who praised Wilson for her outstanding care and compassion.
Nurses like Wilson are nominated by patients and their families for the DAISY Award, and from those nominations, nursing leadership at Baptist Union County selects nurses to receive the award.
At a presentation in front of the nurses, colleagues, family, and visitors, Wilson received a certificate and a sculpture. The sculpture, title “A Healer’s Touch,” is hand-carved by artists of the Shona Tribe in Africa.
“It is truly an honor to recognize Angie for her compassion and professionalism,” said Randy White, chief nursing officer at Baptist Union County. “Angie’s genuine concern for each patient exemplifies what a true DAISY award winner should be.”
The not-for-profit DAISY Foundation, based in Glen Ellen, Calif., was established by family members in memory of J. Patrick Barnes. Barnes died at age 33 in late 1999 from complications of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, an auto-immune disease.
The extraordinary care Barnes and his family received from nurses while he was ill led to the creation of the DAISY Award.
Baptist Union County is a 153-bed hospital that offers a variety of health care services, including labor and delivery, outpatient and laser surgery and a 24-hour emergency room. In 2008, the hospital renovated its Women’s Center, which features 10 labor/delivery/recovery suites, two surgical suites for Caesarean sections, a level II nursery for sick babies and a 28-bed postpartum unit. Baptist Union County also offers one of Mississippi’s only partial open MRI machines accredited by the American College of Radiology.
For more information about Baptist Union County, please call 662-538-7631 or visit unioncounty.baptistonline.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...