McBrayer talks to students about heart health
By Angie Barmer
This February marks the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, according to the American Heart Association.
The designation is aimed at increasing awareness that heart disease is the nation’s number one killer, claiming more lives than an all forms of cancer combined.
According to the American Heart Association, 80 percent of cardiac events could have been prevented with better health choices, 30 minutes of cardio per day can help reduce your risk of heart disease, and 64 percent of women die suddenly of coronary heart disease with no previous symptoms.
Crystal McBrayer, community occupational health coordinator with Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, came out to New Albany Elementary School and Union County Schools to speak to third graders about heart health.
“We need to teach our children early on the importance of a healthy lifestyle, such as, including physical activity in your daily routine, eat more of the good foods – fruits, vegetables and whole grains and less of the bad – foods that are high in sodium, trans or saturated fats which will increase their risk of heart disease,” said McBrayer. “Tobacco use will also increase their risk of heart disease. Adults need to be aware of their family history of heart disease as well and talk with their healthcare provider on the findings.”
For more information, visit www.heart.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...