McBrayer talks to students about heart health
By Angie Barmer
This February marks the 50th anniversary of American Heart Month, according to the American Heart Association.
The designation is aimed at increasing awareness that heart disease is the nation’s number one killer, claiming more lives than an all forms of cancer combined.
According to the American Heart Association, 80 percent of cardiac events could have been prevented with better health choices, 30 minutes of cardio per day can help reduce your risk of heart disease, and 64 percent of women die suddenly of coronary heart disease with no previous symptoms.
Crystal McBrayer, community occupational health coordinator with Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, came out to New Albany Elementary School and Union County Schools to speak to third graders about heart health.
“We need to teach our children early on the importance of a healthy lifestyle, such as, including physical activity in your daily routine, eat more of the good foods – fruits, vegetables and whole grains and less of the bad – foods that are high in sodium, trans or saturated fats which will increase their risk of heart disease,” said McBrayer. “Tobacco use will also increase their risk of heart disease. Adults need to be aware of their family history of heart disease as well and talk with their healthcare provider on the findings.”
For more information, visit www.heart.org.
About New Albany Gazette
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...