New Century Club
The New Century Club met at the Union County Library on Wednesday, February 5, 2014. Shelia Robbins, President, presided during the business session and introduced Program Leader Jill Smith who reviewed the book Under A Wing by Reeve Lindbergh, youngest daughter of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh. It was noted that both parents were gifted writers and Anne Morrow Lindberg did not publish any books after the death of her husband, a Pulitzer Prize winning author. Prior to the death of Charles Lindberg, Anne Morrow Lindberg was a best-selling author and best known for the books The Aviator’s Wife and Gift From the Sea.
Reeve Lindbergh shares in this book about life with a liberal father and a conservative mother who live in England for a few years after the kidnapping of the Lindbergh’s 20 month old baby boy. They later returned to the United States with the addition of three boys to the family to live in a remote area of Connecticut. The Lindberg family was described by the author as a down to earth family with parents who wanted their children to have a wholesome life. Their father lived by checklists and the children felt they were treated as projects. The author disagreed with her father’s stand of no television, no church, and no community organizations. Anne Morrow Lindbergh shared that her father wanted his children to always be prepared and always be alert for dangers. Program Leader Smith shared that when Charles Lindbergh was dying of cancer, his wife sang hymns to him so that he could select the songs to be shared at his funeral.
Members present were Jean Dillard, Susan Feather, Michelle Hagins, Joy Hill, Libby Harrison, Anne Holmes, Lynn Madden, Martha Frances Monroe, Mary Tate Pannell, Grace Provence, Anna Quinn, Shelia Robbins, Joan Smith, Jill Smith, and Lou Ann Staggs.
About New Albany Gazette
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...