We predict it is going to take more than a large culvert and a sidewalk to get people to park in the city lot near the Union County Library, but it’s a start. And it’s a start we support.
The City of New Albany, based on a recommendation of its downtown parking committee, is going to cover a section of the ditch next to the Carter Avenue city parking lot, put in some landscaping and wind a sidewalk from the lot to Carter Avenue, then beside it to Main Street.
The group plans to add signage and more markings giving pedestrians the right-of-way downtown. And they hope to persuade regular workers downtown to park in the Carter Avenue lot to free up space on Bankhead and Main streets for shoppers.
We think the only way the plan will work is if parking maximums of two or three hours are approved on both Bankhead and Main streets, and if those limits are backed up with an enforcement program.
As we have said before, downtown parking congestion is a wonderful problem to have because it means our downtown – unlike many in Mississippi and elsewhere – is thriving.
But some sort of parking limits need to be established if we are to prevent customers from becoming frustrated with the lack of parking spaces and giving up.
We would like to see a revised overall plan for the Carter Avenue lot, so that citizens can be assured we are not doing a piece-meal fix. But short of building a parking garage, which likely would be unsightly and expensive, pushing folks to use the Carter Avenue lot seems to be the best alternative.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert