New Albany tops Starkville in tennis
By Dennis Clayton
NEW ALBANY – New Albany faced their second Class 6A team on the season and came away with a 4-3 win over Starkville on Tuesday. New Albany’s doubles teams came through in a huge way as they won three of their five matches.
Mark Robbins of New Albany won the boys singles match over Michael Godly 6-0, 6-1, which got the team off to a good start. In girls singles, Darby Mills of New Albany was defeated by Emily Turner 6-0, 6-0.
New Albany swept the boys doubles as Trace Thompson and Drew Shands defeated Richard Hill and Will Irvin 6-2, 6-4 while Parker Nail and Michael Crotts defeated Daniel Luck and Kelson Bohna 6-0, 6-2.
New Albany split with Starkville in the girls doubles as Hannah Anderson and Quinshay Perkins (NA) defeated Hannah Laird and Courtney Wilson 7-5, 3-6 (10-4). The number one girls court clinched the match in the tie-breaker and gave New Albany the team win. Katie Davis and Meghan Van (NA) were defeated by April Reese and Courtney Cohen 6-4, 6-2.
The mixed doubles match was won by Starkville’s Wes Albritton and Alex Mazzola over Morris Kelly Clayton and Roberto Valadez 6-7. 6-3 (10-7) in a tightly contested final match of the day, that was decided in a tie-breaker.
“Mark Robbins won his match handily,” New Albany coach Warner Creekmore said. “The boys doubles courts were overall good match-ups. The players did well overall after being off for the break. They were a little timid at executing their shots and made a number of unforced errors. I was proud of their win over the 6A Starkville team.”
New Albany is now 1-1 on the season and will meet Ripley in a division match on Thursday at BNA Bank Park.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...