Baldwyn defeats East Union in division contest
By Dennis Clayton
ELLISTOWN – Baldwyn took the early lead against East Union and then followed with a big third inning to decide the division game played Tuesday at East Union. Baldwyn pounded out 12 hits and took advantage of four East Union errors to post the win.
“We didn’t play well and they played great,” East Union coach Chris Basil said. “That’s baseball, it was a snowball effect and that’s part of it. You don’t like it, but that’s the reason that you love this game. Every day is different.”
Baldwyn opened the game by putting the first three batters aboard and later driving them home on a fielder’s choice, RBI single and ground out to take the early 3-0 lead. East Union closed the score to 3-2 as Zane Wilkinson doubled and scored on Tray Davis’ RBI single while Jacob Elder walked and later scored on a passed ball.
Baldwyn added two more runs in the top of the second to push the score to 5-2. East Union failed to score in their half of the inning.
The top of the third inning was the decisive at-bat for Baldwyn as they sent 16 batters to the plate while scoring 10 runs. Baldwyn collected seven hits during the inning and also got runners aboard by three walks, two hit-batters and one error.
East Union closed the scoring for the game in the bottom half of the third as Tray Davis doubled to start the inning. Davis moved to third on Dakota Edwards’ single and scored on Lane Plunk’s fielder’s choice to make the score 15-3.
East Union will play Baldwyn again at Baldwyn on Friday night. “I like this format (playing teams the same week) because they cannot throw their best pitcher again and dominate a series,” Basil said.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...