Local officials working to dedicate Highway 30 to William Faulkner
Union and Lafayette County officials are mounting a last-minute effort to have Highway 30 between New Albany and Oxford designated the “William Faulkner Memorial Highway.”
Mayor Tim Kent said there should be no problem in getting the designation other than the fact that this year’s legislative session is ending soon. He said tourism director Sean Johnson had talked with Union County Representative Margaret Ellis Rogers and she thought it would be possible to insert the proposal into a conference bill. A resolution would have to be submitted by both Union and Lafayette County boards of supervisors to get approval.
Such a joint effort would be seen as a way to show more cooperation between the two areas in promoting Faulkner as well as the highway’s traversing one of the types of country the writer used so often.
A news story earlier in the week reported that an effort is being made to apply to a state and federal program to seek a designation of the highway as part of the Mississippi Scenic Byways Program, but Kent said he was not aware that was the case.
Qualifying for the Mississippi Department of Transportation byways program would require a considerable application process that he said might take a year or more, would necessitate committees and organizational plans and, if it succeeds, would subject the area to a variety of federal restrictions that local officials do not want at this time.
If the effort to receive a state memorial highway designation is successful, Kent said we will know by Monday, the deadline. Once the designation is given, signs will be placed along the highway similar to the other memorial highway designations in the state.
About Lynn West
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...