The effort to expand the Union County Heritage Museum got a major boost this week when the Mississippi Legislature agreed to provide $500,000 to help pay for the project.
The money, part of a $200 million statewide bond bill, would pay a little more than one-third of the cost of the project that will more than double the size of the museum.
The money is designated for the William Faulkner Library, which will house the Coffey collection of about 800 volumes, including one of the most impressive collections of Faulkner books (including first editions), poems, short stories and other materials in the Southeast. The collection also includes a set of first editions by local author Borden Deal.
The expansion includes additional display rooms, including one for the Chico Foote collection of approximately 30 mounts from his African and Alaskan expeditions, and a large meeting room for museum events.
The museum has become a quality small museum under the leadership of the board and especially that of its executive director, Jill Smith. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, the Mississippi Museum of Art and many other institutions and associations.
The museum is preparing to kick off a private fundraising campaign to supplement the state money. The state money was obtained through the efforts of Smith and Betsy Hamilton, working with Rep. Margaret Ellis Rogers and Sen. Nickey Browning.
It’s a coup for our museum, our community, and the people who have worked so tirelessly to make it what it is today.
About New Albany Gazette
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...