Bicycle season is here and the Tanglefoot Trail already is getting lots of use, much of it from visitors from out of town who have heard that the 44-mile trail has officially opened.
Last Saturday we saw visitors with their bicycles and helmets on our downtown streets, reminding us that it’s time to move ahead with a plan for an entrance plaza.
We agree with Mayor Tim Kent that the trailhead facility would be better if it were incorporated into our current historic downtown, rather than constructing a separate building near the Union County Library.
The mayor currently has drawings in hand showing a wooden arch between Van-Atkins Jewelers and the Henderson Building with the trail name on it. Landscaping, seating areas, arbors and a winding path would reach the trail itself nearer the former railroad bridge, which the city hopes to replace with a new bridge.
The details for a final plan may need some fine-tuning, and there are varying opinions about what the arch ought to look like, but overall we think the city is on the right track.
Getting trail users to start or end their journey in our historic downtown is a plus that should not be discounted.
It can help our retail economy and lend added ambiance to the already nice look of our historic downtown.
The trail users already are here and thousands are expected over the course of the coming year.
We hope money is available to get started on a trailhead plaza soon.
About New Albany Gazette
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...