United Way distribution
The United Way of Northeast Mississippi has announced its 2014 distribution of funds to agencies that serve Union County and it is not good news.
The $60,525 being distributed in 2014 to 24 agencies is down more than 20 percent from the $77,405 distributed to 30 agencies in the current year.
Robin Matkin, campaign and communications associate for United Way, said several factors contributed to the reduction, including layoffs and plant closures in the area.
One large employer also did not make the deadline in time for its giving to be included in this year’s allocation.
Although the overall campaign met its $2.4 million goal, the amount of money available for distribution in Union County is based on money contributed locally.
The largest benefactors of the distribution in 2014 are Good Samaritan Food Pantry with $15,000 ($17,000 last year), the Boys & Girls Club with $10,000 ($17,000 last year), New Haven Center $9,000 ($9,500 last year) and Agape Health Services free clinic with $8,500 (a new agency). Twenty other agencies shared the rest.
A committee of Union County residents interviews the agencies and gathers information to make the funding decisions.
Perhaps next year will be better for the agencies that serve Union County.
As we’ve said before, it depends on giving, and contribution levels are not high for a county of this size.
It is what it is.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...