The sounds of fiddling, guitars and banjos will fill the air this Saturday as the community hosts the annual Down From the Hills Mississippi Bluegrass Championships.
The annual festival, which started here more than a decade ago, brings competitors in fiddle, guitar, banjo, dobro and mandolin together from around Mississippi and neighboring states.
It also features bluegrass band competitions.
What started as a small event has become significant under the direction of Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, and her volunteers.
Smith said the event provides a venue for both children and adults to play folk and bluegrass music as well as hear some of the top musicians in the region.
Tickets are only $5 and the competition will get underway at 10 a.m.
At noon, the bluegrass band, “Breaking Glass,” will perform followed by a performance by the Oxford-based band, “The Cakewalkers.”
A workshop on playing the dobro will be offered at 10 a.m. followed by a workshop on banjo.
Food will be available on site at the Union County Fairgrounds and folk art will be on sale
This has become a significant event in our community, but has not attracted as large a crowd as we would expect for such talented musicians.
We encourage you to stop at the fairgrounds Saturday and take in some of the music. This event deserves our support.
About New Albany Gazette
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert