The sounds of fiddling, guitars and banjos will fill the air this Saturday as the community hosts the annual Down From the Hills Mississippi Bluegrass Championships.
The annual festival, which started here more than a decade ago, brings competitors in fiddle, guitar, banjo, dobro and mandolin together from around Mississippi and neighboring states.
It also features bluegrass band competitions.
What started as a small event has become significant under the direction of Jill Smith, director of the Union County Heritage Museum, and her volunteers.
Smith said the event provides a venue for both children and adults to play folk and bluegrass music as well as hear some of the top musicians in the region.
Tickets are only $5 and the competition will get underway at 10 a.m.
At noon, the bluegrass band, “Breaking Glass,” will perform followed by a performance by the Oxford-based band, “The Cakewalkers.”
A workshop on playing the dobro will be offered at 10 a.m. followed by a workshop on banjo.
Food will be available on site at the Union County Fairgrounds and folk art will be on sale
This has become a significant event in our community, but has not attracted as large a crowd as we would expect for such talented musicians.
We encourage you to stop at the fairgrounds Saturday and take in some of the music. This event deserves our support.
About New Albany Gazette
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...