County jobless rate lowest in years, second-lowest in region
Union County’s unemployment rate for April this year was 5.5 percent, second-best in the 16-county region and well below the state average of 7.5 percent.
According to published reports, this represents the lowest rate for the region in about six years. During and before that time jobless rates often approached or exceeded 10 percent.
Union County’s latest rate compares favorably to the April rate a year ago of 6.9 percent and the jobless rate for March this year of 6.3 percent.
Only Lafayette County had a lower regional rate than Union, at 4.9 percent. That county has historically reported among the lowest in the state for years. Highest was Clay County with a three-digit jobless rate of 14.7 percent.
State employment officials note that counties are always going to have some unemployment at any time as people routinely change jobs or enter or leave the workforce for various reasons.
Statewide, Rankin County had the lowest unemployment with 4.2 percent while Issaquena was high at 16.3 percent
About Lynn West
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...