New Haven plans to expand
By Angie Barmer
A fundraiser campaign will soon be starting up to raise additional funds needed for the future expansion of New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults.
With 32 clients, New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults has almost reached capacity.
There isn’t enough space for all of the activities that the clients do, to accommodate volunteers, to allow Union County Literacy Council tutors the space to adequately tutor the clients, for all of the clients to eat lunch, and for a variety of other reasons.
Union County Development Association Director Phil Nanney said, “New Haven is in desperate need of additional space, so we plan to expand onto the side of the current building. In this new space, there will be a new kitchen and a new dining room facility and maybe more areas as well. By adding more space, this will also allow for more clients to be able to come here.”
The clients at New Haven attend school on a weekday basis and attend various events throughout the year in New Albany, while also expanding their creativity with arts, crafts and educational projects at New Haven. They are on the same school calendar that the city and county school districts are on.
“The school was established on May 8, 1961 as a school that would provide services for special needs children because special education was not included in public education,” New Haven Director Collett Cross said. “The school was named New Haven because it did indeed provide a safe environment for a vulnerable population.”
There isn’t a definite amount yet as to what the construction will cost to build the expanded area.
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...