The Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market will kick off its third season Saturday on a vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge.
Moving the Saturday morning event to the prominent downtown spot two years ago has turned out to be a successful venture.
The market will be open from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. each Saturday until sometime in August.
It features locally grown produce, processed farm goods, canned fruits and vegetables, home-baked goods and local handmade crafts.
This year operation of the market has been turned over to the Union County Master Gardeners and the city has appropriated $5,000 to help with the expenses.
“Not only does the farmers’ market help support our local farmers, it also brings quite a bit of traffic to our downtown area. The city is very pleased with the market’s efforts the past two years and we hope to see continued growth every year,” Mayor Tim Kent said.
We agree that consolidating and expanding the market into one spot downtown has been a good idea.
But at some point, the city will have to determine the long-term future of the market because the current location is leased from a private owner.
In our opinion, spending taxpayer money, whether from federal, state or local sources, on permanent improvements at a non-city-owned site is not a good idea.
But in the meantime, the market is getting more people downtown and providing good quality local produce and other goods.
About New Albany Gazette
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...