Fossil Road Show returns to museum June 14
The Fossil Road Show is set for Saturday, June 14, at the Union County Heritage Museum and as at events past, paleontologists from across the state will gather to look at the objects and science of Mississippi’s rich fossil history. The event begins at 10 a.m. and will end at 2 p.m. Paleontologist from the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science George Phillips will lecture on “The Fossil History of Mississippi” – A brief exploration of some 400 million years of Mississippi’s paleontological past and accompanying changes in our state’s landscape, at 11 a.m. Other scientists from the University of Mississippi and other schools as well as the Memphis Geology and Mineral society and the North Mississippi Gem and Mineral Society will be on hand as vendors and collectors. Featured this year will be Carol Lybanon, stained-glass and gem and mineral artist from Memphis, who will bring works where she incorporated geodes, agates and other colorful gems, minerals and objects into her pieces of art work. She uses themes in nature, dancing and her spirituality in her artwork. W. C. McDaniel from the Memphis Gem and Mineral Society and the Baldwins will return with their geode cracker. Anyone who has an object that they would like to show or to have identified by the experts is encouraged to bring them to the event. For more information call the museum at 662-538-0014 or email email@example.com . One of the works of art by Carol Lybanon, who will be an artist featured at the event.
About New Albany Gazette
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...