Fossil Road Show returns to museum June 14
The Fossil Road Show is set for Saturday, June 14, at the Union County Heritage Museum and as at events past, paleontologists from across the state will gather to look at the objects and science of Mississippi’s rich fossil history. The event begins at 10 a.m. and will end at 2 p.m. Paleontologist from the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science George Phillips will lecture on “The Fossil History of Mississippi” – A brief exploration of some 400 million years of Mississippi’s paleontological past and accompanying changes in our state’s landscape, at 11 a.m. Other scientists from the University of Mississippi and other schools as well as the Memphis Geology and Mineral society and the North Mississippi Gem and Mineral Society will be on hand as vendors and collectors. Featured this year will be Carol Lybanon, stained-glass and gem and mineral artist from Memphis, who will bring works where she incorporated geodes, agates and other colorful gems, minerals and objects into her pieces of art work. She uses themes in nature, dancing and her spirituality in her artwork. W. C. McDaniel from the Memphis Gem and Mineral Society and the Baldwins will return with their geode cracker. Anyone who has an object that they would like to show or to have identified by the experts is encouraged to bring them to the event. For more information call the museum at 662-538-0014 or email email@example.com . One of the works of art by Carol Lybanon, who will be an artist featured at the event.
About New Albany Gazette
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...