McDonald, Wilson compete in combine
TUPELO – Two New Albany Bulldogs received the opportunity to compete as some of the top football talent in the state.
Rising seniors Jake McDonald and Devin Wilson took part in the Southern Select Combine at Tupelo High School on Saturday, increasing their visibility for recruiters in the hope of furthering their careers after high school.
“It was my first time to compete in a combine,” Wilson said. “It was a great experience and it showed me where I stand as an athlete.”
Wilson was pleased with his performance in the combine that involved four stations of drills.
“I gave every drill my all, I hope it will help get my name out there and hopefully I can get an offer,” Wilson said.
Wilson is hoping to improve his speed and quickness after experiencing the combine and thought he did especially well in the “L drill.”
“It was great, I felt like I learned a lot from the drills I did,” said McDonald. “I did good in the drills, but there is always room for improvement. I felt like I had good speed and also good footing in the “L drill.”
This was the second combine for McDonald, as he attended one in Oxford last year.
“I need to get stronger with the weights and get faster, that’s always a plus when playing football,” McDonald said.
“It’s a way to show your skills to the coaches and to get your name out there for them,” McDonald said.
There were 158 athletes who attended the combine as players came from across north Mississippi to participate, the largest turnout recorded for the annual event.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series