Yates named West Union softball coach
Hugh Yates has been tapped to fill the role of softball coach at West Union High School.
Yates will take over both the slowpitch and fastpitch programs from Lisa Bogue, who announced her retirement earlier in June.
“I’m very excited, and I’d like to thank the adminstration here and Mr. (Ken) Basil for giving me this opportunity,” Yates said. “I’m getting to do something that I love. I don’t know how to explain it, I’m just excited about it. Coach Bogue has done a wonderful job here and I want to try to keep the tradition going and try to build on it.
The Lady Eagles will see several athletes return to the field in the fall and spring seasons including veteran players Gracen Conlee, Jesslyn Brewer, Callie Baggett and Kylie Massengill The quartet of starters will provide the leadership for the Lady Eagles, who will look to fill the void left by 2014 graduates Bailey Bogue, Brittany Taylor and Julianna Garner.
“I want to make it exciting for these kids and let them enjoy it,” Yates said. “There is some young talent that I’m excited about. There’s a foundation here, it’s not like we are starting from scratch. We’re going to get those girls to accept that leadership role and let these young ones know what West Union softball is all about and what’s expected of them. We’re in a tough division and that’s a good thing too because day in and day out, you’re playing good competition.”
“I’d like to thank Coach Lisa Bogue for all her years of service and dedication to West Union softball, she did a great job and I wish her well,” West Union Athletic Director Penny Heard said. “I’m thrilled that Hugh is stepping in and he is a fabulous softball coach. He knows the game and he will pick right up and take West Union softball exactly where we need to be in the future. He has a passion for coaching softball as well as a passion for teaching too.”
Yates has been has been in the Union County school system for several years and has served as an assistant basketball coach and head cross country coach at West Union.
Yates’ resume as a softball coach spans many years as he coached daughters Brooke Gordon and Kelly Robbins throughout their youth softball years on travel and all-star teams.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...