Churches organizing community freedom celebration
Several area churches are getting together to give the community a freedom celebration this year.
The event will be Sunday, June 29, at the Union County Courthouse.
A picnic will start the program at 5:30 p.m. with hamburgers or hot dogs provided and those attending are invited to bring coolers and lawn chairs (no alcohol is permitted on courthouse property). There will be bouncers for the kids as well.
A combined choir with about 200 members will perform between 6 and 6:30 p.m., accompanied by special lighting and video. Don Chandler and Mark Mathis are working with the group.
The main program will be by Dennis Swanberg of Monroe. La., who has been described as “America’s minister of entertainment,” and has Swanberg Christian Ministries.
Swanberg also will present a program during the morning worship service at First Baptist Church at 10:30 a.m.
There will be no admission charge but an offering will be taken to help defray expenses. “We just want to break even if we can,” First Baptist Pastor Greg Spencer said. “This is just something we need to do for the community.”
Churches participating include Bethlehem United Methodist Church, First Baptist Church, First United Methodist Church, Fredonia Baptist Church, Hillcrest Baptist Church, Ingomar Baptist Church and New Birth Church.
Sometimes known as “The Swan,” Swanberg has been host of “The Dennis Swanberg Show” on TBN, “Swan’s Place” on FamNet Affiliates and “Dennis Swanberg Comedy Hour” on Salem Radio. He has written several books including “Is Your Love Tank Full,” “Man Does Not Live by Sports Alone,” “The Man Code,” and “Why A.D.H.D. Doesn’t Mean Disaster.”
He has appeared at churches all over the country and with the Dr. Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, Focus on the Family programs, John Hagee Ministries, Gaither Homecoming, Trinity Broadcasting and 700 Club, among others.
About Lynn West
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...