RiverFest and beer
The question of allowing the sale or consumption of beer and light wine (wine coolers) at special events on city property is expected to be on the August meeting agenda of the New Albany Board of Aldermen.
Examples of such events cited by city officials include arts receptions or exhibit openings at the Union County Heritage Museum or events such as wedding receptions at the Civic Center.
What was not mentioned, but we think is the real driving force in considering the change now, is the desire by some to add beer sales in confined areas at RiverFest.
First, let us remind you that we have been a strong supporter of the legalization of beer and alcohol sales in the city. It’s part of business for restaurants and hotels and prevents thousands of dollars in tax revenue from flowing to other cities. There have been few, if any, problems caused by the change.
And we are OK with the proposal to allow beer and light wine on public property, as long as it is confined to ticketed and closely controlled events.
RiverFest, in our mind, is a different issue. RiverFest, and even the concerts at RiverFest, have been a family-oriented affair with many small children—sort of a family reunion for our whole city and county. That formula has worked and has been financially successful.
We’re not in favor of changing the tenor of RiverFest to please what we are confident is a very small minority of festival-goers. It doesn’t need any aspect of a frat party or a good-ole-boy (or girl) beer bust. Those of us who drink have ample opportunities elsewhere.
Tell your alderman to say no to alcohol at RiverFest.
About New Albany Gazette
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...