Boll Weevils ride fourth inning flurry to down Bobcats
The Inverness Boll Weevils used a big fourth inning to top the Bay Springs Bobcats by a 4-2 margin.
The Boll Weevils sent nine batters to the plate during the inning and collected two hits. They were helped by four walks and a hit by pitch in scoring their four runs.
The first three innings had been a pitcher’s duel between Jonathan Hicks of the Boll Weevils and Josh Smith of the Bobcats. Neither pitcher had allowed a hit although the Bobcats held a 1-0 lead courtesy of Austin Graham’s score. Graham (West Union)was hit by a pitch and wound up at third with one out. Graham scored on the RBI ground out to post the 1-0 lead.
The Bobcats scored a run in the bottom of the fourth as Harrison Hawkins scored on a JT Gaines (Myrtle) RBI single. That would be as close as the Bobcats would get as a ground out ended the inning with Gaines stranded on base.
Myles Steen (West Union) worked two innings of relief, allowing no hits while walking three and striking out five for the Bobcats. Gaines had the only hit for the Bobcats.
About Dennis ClaytonI cover high school sports in Union County and occasionally contribute sports articles to sister community newspapers of Journal Inc. I have lived in Union County my entire life and strive to use my articles to promote our players, teams and schools. Follow me on Twitter: @denclayton for scores and updates on our local high school teams.
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...