A drone in Myrtle?
Let’s get right to the point: We don’t think the police department in Myrtle needs a drone.
We were surprised to see in an item in the Gazette last week that the Town of Myrtle had decided to use $3,000 in federal tax money to purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle.
These are not the kind of drones the CIA and the military use to rub out foreign militants. These are smaller gadgets similar to a very large model airplane that can be flown around using a computer.
Plans for the drone include any potential searches for missing children or elderly citizens, Myrtle officials say.
Police Chief Jim White said the department originally applied for the money to purchase body cameras for officers, but by the time the money came through the city already had gotten another federal grant to purchase the cameras.
“They didn’t want the money back, and we didn’t have anything else we needed to purchase that fell within the requirements,” he said.
We’re not going to get into the issue of whether Myrtle police need body cameras. But we’re pretty confident Myrtle doesn’t need a drone.
Our local governments need to exercise fiscal restraint and common sense with tax money, whether it comes from local taxes, state taxes or federal taxes.
Somebody should have shot down the drone idea. It’s a waste.
About New Albany Gazette
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...