Jets shut out Bollweevils
The Northeast Mississippi Jets earned a shut-out win on Tuesday, knocking off the Inverness Bollweevils 12-0 in five innings.
Starting pitcher Josh Hargett (Itawamba) Agricultural High School was the star of the game, tossing a no-hitter of four innings and striking out three.
Relief pitcher Jacob Kent (Myrtle) closed the game in the fifth inning.
The Jets racked up nine hits during the game, with Clay Faulkner (Hebron Christian Academy) and Tucker Fant (Marshall Academy) both logging two each.
The Jets 5-0 lead ballooned to 8-0 after three innings with Fant opening the inning with a triple into center field.
At 6-2 the Jets sit in second place behind the undefeated Tenn-Tom Thunder at 7-0 in the Deep South Division.
Generals 14, Bobcats 5
A fifth inning surge gave the Generals a healthy win against the Bobcats as the team scored six runs in the bottom of the inning.
Austin Gafford (New Albany) and Bryson Cass (Belmont) both finished the night with two hits each.
Cass also turned in three RBIs during the game while Sawyer Byars (Houlka) added two to his stat line.
Cass was the winning pitcher for the game with Dylan Goolsby (Ripley) pitching three innings of relief and giving up three hits.
Joshua Miles (Tupelo Christian Prepatory) took the loss on the mound for the Bobcats while Ross Shackleford (Ripley) led the team with two hits.
Cotton States High School League play will continue on Thursday, with weekend games also scheduled along with the College Baseball League’s championship series.
That series will begin on Saturday at 11 a.m. on Legion Field with the Jets facing the Thunder and continue at 1:30 p.m. with the Dealers and the Generals.
The Rascals and the Tribe will play the winners of the morning match-ups at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m..
The winner of those two games will meet on Sunday at 4 p.m. for the League Championship Series which will conclude the college league.
The high school league will conduct its championship series on August 2 and 3.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...