Jets shut out Bollweevils
The Northeast Mississippi Jets earned a shut-out win on Tuesday, knocking off the Inverness Bollweevils 12-0 in five innings.
Starting pitcher Josh Hargett (Itawamba) Agricultural High School was the star of the game, tossing a no-hitter of four innings and striking out three.
Relief pitcher Jacob Kent (Myrtle) closed the game in the fifth inning.
The Jets racked up nine hits during the game, with Clay Faulkner (Hebron Christian Academy) and Tucker Fant (Marshall Academy) both logging two each.
The Jets 5-0 lead ballooned to 8-0 after three innings with Fant opening the inning with a triple into center field.
At 6-2 the Jets sit in second place behind the undefeated Tenn-Tom Thunder at 7-0 in the Deep South Division.
Generals 14, Bobcats 5
A fifth inning surge gave the Generals a healthy win against the Bobcats as the team scored six runs in the bottom of the inning.
Austin Gafford (New Albany) and Bryson Cass (Belmont) both finished the night with two hits each.
Cass also turned in three RBIs during the game while Sawyer Byars (Houlka) added two to his stat line.
Cass was the winning pitcher for the game with Dylan Goolsby (Ripley) pitching three innings of relief and giving up three hits.
Joshua Miles (Tupelo Christian Prepatory) took the loss on the mound for the Bobcats while Ross Shackleford (Ripley) led the team with two hits.
Cotton States High School League play will continue on Thursday, with weekend games also scheduled along with the College Baseball League’s championship series.
That series will begin on Saturday at 11 a.m. on Legion Field with the Jets facing the Thunder and continue at 1:30 p.m. with the Dealers and the Generals.
The Rascals and the Tribe will play the winners of the morning match-ups at 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m..
The winner of those two games will meet on Sunday at 4 p.m. for the League Championship Series which will conclude the college league.
The high school league will conduct its championship series on August 2 and 3.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series