County’s June jobless rate lowest in NE Mississippi; eighth best in state
Union County’s unemployment rate for June was 6.9 percent, making it eighth-lowest in the state and the lowest among counties in Northeast Mississippi according to figures from the Mississippi Employment Security Commission.
Although among the lowest, the rate did represent a slightly upward trend for the county, which reported 6.5 percent in May and 5.5 percent in April. Unemployment still was lower than the 7.5-percent rate of May last year.
Behind Union in the region were Alcorn County with 7.3 percent jobless and Lafayette County with 7.4 percent. Lafayette County has historically reported the lowest rate most months for many years.
The jobless rate statewide was 8.7 percent, compared to the national rate of only 6.3 percent.
Rankin County reported the lowest rate in Mississippi at 5.1 percent while Clay was highest at 18.1 percent.
According to MESC, Union County had a labor force of 13,180 in June, 12,270 of whom were employed and 910 not employed.
About Lynn West
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...