Lady Bulldogs swept by Lafayette in volleyball
NEW ALBANY – New Albany took early leads in the first two sets against Lafayette, but the Lady Commodores clawed their way back to win and took the third set by a wide margin as they won the match 3-0 on Monday.
“We played hard, we just don’t know how to finish a game,” New Albany coach Shay Ashford said. “We’ve got to learn how to win and that’s something we don’t know how to do yet. When we have them down and out, we don’t know how to keep them down and out.”
New Albany took an early lead in the first set, but Lafayette tied it at 5-5 and then took the lead. New Albany was able to tie the set again at 14-14, but the Lady Bulldogs could not regain the lead and Lafayette eventually took the set 25-21.
New Albany went up by six points late in the second set at 17-11, but the Lady Bulldogs could not stop a Lafayette 14-5 run and fell by a 25-22 score.
Lafayette jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the third set and New Albany never could mount a comeback as they fell 25-9.
“I thought we played better,” Ashford said. “We have just got to learn how to close the game.”
Meadow Golden had success with her service, helping the Lady Bulldogs go on a five-point run in her first service in the opening set and a four-point run on her service in the second set. Golden had seven service aces on the night. Kaitlyn Cavender picked up three service aces.
“They have got to grow up and want to win,” Ashford said. They have the tools, they know what to do, now they have just got to execute.
New Albany played Tupelo on Tuesday night and will host Pontotoc on Thursday night.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...