Lady Urchins drop two in Baldwyn softball tourney
BALDWYN – After two games on Saturday East Union returned homed winless, falling to both Booneville and Corinth in turn during the Baldwyn Classic Tournament.
The Lady Urchins totaled three hits agains the Booneville Blue Devils in the first game, including a single by Claudia Hill in the third inning and a hit from Sallie Pannell in the fourth.
The game remained scoreless until the seventh inning, where the Blue Devils took the 3-0 lead on a string of offensive plays with three base hits and a fielder’s choice play to score one.
An error on the next batter allowed two more runners in while the Lady Urchins loaded the bases in the bottom of inning but found themselves unable to capitalize on their own momentum.
“I knew coming over here that Booneville and Corinth would be tough teams to play, and I think today proved that,” Urchins head coach Josh Blythe said, “And really, in both games we played good defensively, we just didn’t hit during the first one.”
In the Urchins 7-5 loss to Corinth later in the day, both teams totalled 22 hits across seven innings.
Each squad earned 11.
East Union drew first blood with an RBI single from Sallie Pannell that brought in Tianna Castillo for the 1-0 lead.
The Lady Warriors returned the favor, with a double from Anna Kayte Webb setting up two more singles that scored one.
Two batters later, Corinth added two more to its total off an error at first base.
With a 3-1 deficit, the Urchins came pushing back in the second inning.
Castillo’s single scored one, while Callie Frazier’s hit immediately after brought home two more runners to give East Union a 4-3 lead.
The Warriors added four more with their turn at bat, an RBI single from Katie Vandiver before a triple home run from Rebekah Williams gave Corinth the 7-4 advantage.
East Union’s additional score in the arrived the following turn at bat.
“The difference in the game really came down to one hit, we hit the ball a lot better that second game and I really felt like we had a chance in that one. A couple of breaks here or there and we win,” Blythe said.
Those breaks include leaving runners on base – the Urchins stranded nine against Corinth while the Warriors left only five.
“That’s another big difference there,” Blythe said, “You get one or two of those in, its a different game.”
East Union continue’s this week with a home game against Falkner before traveling to face Hamilton on Aug. 21.
“You don’t like to lose, but its early in the season as we are chasing pitches, losing strikes. It’s stuff like that, but I’m really proud of them overall. These are two quality teams that we played today, and we held our own for the most part,” Blythe said.
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...