Friday Night Lights: Bulldogs scalped by the Indians
It definitely wasn’t the bounce back game that New Albany had been looking for.
Itawamba quarterback Vijay Miller and the Indians offense couldn’t be stopped on Friday, shutting the Bulldogs in a 35-0 final.
“Itawamba is a great football team, and they made some mistakes last week that cost them the game. Unfortunately they got that all out of the way and played a pretty smooth football game tonight and they showed us that to be successful in 4A there’s a way you have to play football,” New Albany coach Ron Price said.
Bryce Collins arm was the only offensive start that the Bulldogs could find, though the quarterback threw one interception early in the game. The Indians defensive line routinely shut down New Albany’s run game, with the longest rushing gain of the game around 27 yards.
Miller finished the game with three touchdown passes to three different receivers, and rushed for two more in the second half of the contest.
Over in Ellisville, East Union moved to 2-0 after dominating the Middleton Tigers in a 39-8 final to give the Urchins their first win in their newly opened home stadium.
The momentum belonged to the Urchins through the game, capitalizing on a turnover with Jesse Keller blocking a punt by the Tigers to set up Austin Colburn’s 23-yard return to close the first half.
Wing back Cage West also hauled in two touchdowns, while quarterback Lane Plunk threw one touchdown pass to receiver Zane Wilkinson
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...