Sharing at Christmas
Earlier this year the Gazette observed its 125th anniversary of publication. Today we mark another anniversary – the 40th anniversary of the annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County.
Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper.
It’s about all those who provide the money for food and toys through their gifts, and about the many volunteers who do the work purchasing, packing and distributing the boxes.
And it’s about the 200 or so families, some elderly, but many with small children, who will have their holiday brightened by a volunteer at the door with a fresh turkey breast and all the other goodies for a holiday meal or two. Families with elementary school or younger children also may receive a toy for each child.
We don’t claim the program is perfect, but we do make sure that all of the funds contributed are actually used to help people. None of the money goes to administrative costs; what little in the way of cost we incur is paid for by the newspaper.
If you’ve contributed to the program in the past, we invite you to do so again. If you’re new to the community or just haven’t gotten around to it in prior years, we urge you to join your neighbors in Sharing at Christmas.
A donation coupon appears in the paper today. Just fill it out and mail it to us or drop it off at the Gazette office.
About New Albany Gazette
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...