Sharing at Christmas
Earlier this year the Gazette observed its 125th anniversary of publication. Today we mark another anniversary – the 40th anniversary of the annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County.
Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper.
It’s about all those who provide the money for food and toys through their gifts, and about the many volunteers who do the work purchasing, packing and distributing the boxes.
And it’s about the 200 or so families, some elderly, but many with small children, who will have their holiday brightened by a volunteer at the door with a fresh turkey breast and all the other goodies for a holiday meal or two. Families with elementary school or younger children also may receive a toy for each child.
We don’t claim the program is perfect, but we do make sure that all of the funds contributed are actually used to help people. None of the money goes to administrative costs; what little in the way of cost we incur is paid for by the newspaper.
If you’ve contributed to the program in the past, we invite you to do so again. If you’re new to the community or just haven’t gotten around to it in prior years, we urge you to join your neighbors in Sharing at Christmas.
A donation coupon appears in the paper today. Just fill it out and mail it to us or drop it off at the Gazette office.
About New Albany Gazette
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...