Sharing at Christmas
Earlier this year the Gazette observed its 125th anniversary of publication. Today we mark another anniversary – the 40th anniversary of the annual Sharing at Christmas push for money to help provide holiday help for families in need in Union County.
Although the Sharing at Christmas program has been sponsored by the Gazette all these years, it really is about the community, not the newspaper.
It’s about all those who provide the money for food and toys through their gifts, and about the many volunteers who do the work purchasing, packing and distributing the boxes.
And it’s about the 200 or so families, some elderly, but many with small children, who will have their holiday brightened by a volunteer at the door with a fresh turkey breast and all the other goodies for a holiday meal or two. Families with elementary school or younger children also may receive a toy for each child.
We don’t claim the program is perfect, but we do make sure that all of the funds contributed are actually used to help people. None of the money goes to administrative costs; what little in the way of cost we incur is paid for by the newspaper.
If you’ve contributed to the program in the past, we invite you to do so again. If you’re new to the community or just haven’t gotten around to it in prior years, we urge you to join your neighbors in Sharing at Christmas.
A donation coupon appears in the paper today. Just fill it out and mail it to us or drop it off at the Gazette office.
About New Albany Gazette
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...