Relay for Life event set for April 22
Union Countians who want to help raise money for cancer awareness will have the opportunity in April.
The Union County Relay for Life event will begin at 6 p.m., April 22, at the Park Along the River.
During the event, which serves as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, members of teams sponsored by businesses, churches or other groups typically take turns walking around a track. The relay begins with a survivors’ walk and they are joined by their families on the second lap.
According to Paige Kelly, senior community manager for Relay for Life, there are 12 teams currently signed up for the event, but more are welcome.
“We are always looking for new teams,” Kelly said. “Our team participation has slacked up a bit and we are in dire need of some new hands and ideas.”
Kelly said teams, as well as cancer survivors, can register online at www.relayforlife.org/unionms.
She said that luminaria, which are paper bags with candles lit in honor or in memory of loved ones are also available for pre-purchase online at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY16National?fr_id=74194&pg=fr_ecommerce. They will also be on sale at the event.
Organizers of the event are also in the process of selecting an Honorary Chair for the event. This person is chosen by the event committee and is a survivor of the battle against cancer who serves the local community in the effort to raise awareness.
Kelly said the tentative schedule of events is as follows:
5 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
6 p.m. – Wooden Groove
6:30 p.m. – New Albany Ballet
6:45 p.m. – Hands of Praise (Victory Church)
7 p.m. – Opening Ceremony
7:30 p.m. – New Albany High School Jazz Band
8:15 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
9 p.m. – Andy Fewell
9:15 p.m. – Phase 2
9:45 p.m. – Luminaria Service
10 p.m. – Phase 2
About David Johnson
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...