Relay for Life event set for April 22
Union Countians who want to help raise money for cancer awareness will have the opportunity in April.
The Union County Relay for Life event will begin at 6 p.m., April 22, at the Park Along the River.
During the event, which serves as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, members of teams sponsored by businesses, churches or other groups typically take turns walking around a track. The relay begins with a survivors’ walk and they are joined by their families on the second lap.
According to Paige Kelly, senior community manager for Relay for Life, there are 12 teams currently signed up for the event, but more are welcome.
“We are always looking for new teams,” Kelly said. “Our team participation has slacked up a bit and we are in dire need of some new hands and ideas.”
Kelly said teams, as well as cancer survivors, can register online at www.relayforlife.org/unionms.
She said that luminaria, which are paper bags with candles lit in honor or in memory of loved ones are also available for pre-purchase online at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY16National?fr_id=74194&pg=fr_ecommerce. They will also be on sale at the event.
Organizers of the event are also in the process of selecting an Honorary Chair for the event. This person is chosen by the event committee and is a survivor of the battle against cancer who serves the local community in the effort to raise awareness.
Kelly said the tentative schedule of events is as follows:
5 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
6 p.m. – Wooden Groove
6:30 p.m. – New Albany Ballet
6:45 p.m. – Hands of Praise (Victory Church)
7 p.m. – Opening Ceremony
7:30 p.m. – New Albany High School Jazz Band
8:15 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
9 p.m. – Andy Fewell
9:15 p.m. – Phase 2
9:45 p.m. – Luminaria Service
10 p.m. – Phase 2
About David Johnson
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...