Relay for Life event set for April 22
Union Countians who want to help raise money for cancer awareness will have the opportunity in April.
The Union County Relay for Life event will begin at 6 p.m., April 22, at the Park Along the River.
During the event, which serves as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, members of teams sponsored by businesses, churches or other groups typically take turns walking around a track. The relay begins with a survivors’ walk and they are joined by their families on the second lap.
According to Paige Kelly, senior community manager for Relay for Life, there are 12 teams currently signed up for the event, but more are welcome.
“We are always looking for new teams,” Kelly said. “Our team participation has slacked up a bit and we are in dire need of some new hands and ideas.”
Kelly said teams, as well as cancer survivors, can register online at www.relayforlife.org/unionms.
She said that luminaria, which are paper bags with candles lit in honor or in memory of loved ones are also available for pre-purchase online at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY16National?fr_id=74194&pg=fr_ecommerce. They will also be on sale at the event.
Organizers of the event are also in the process of selecting an Honorary Chair for the event. This person is chosen by the event committee and is a survivor of the battle against cancer who serves the local community in the effort to raise awareness.
Kelly said the tentative schedule of events is as follows:
5 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
6 p.m. – Wooden Groove
6:30 p.m. – New Albany Ballet
6:45 p.m. – Hands of Praise (Victory Church)
7 p.m. – Opening Ceremony
7:30 p.m. – New Albany High School Jazz Band
8:15 p.m. – Cadillac Funk
9 p.m. – Andy Fewell
9:15 p.m. – Phase 2
9:45 p.m. – Luminaria Service
10 p.m. – Phase 2
About David Johnson
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...