NEW ALBANY – History comes in many forms. On Tuesday night it arrived with the blow of a whistle and the snap of a ball. Shoulder pads and helmets slapped together to the cheers of a crowd bearing witness to something that once seemed impossible. Myrtle Attendance Center, known across Mississippi as a basketball school, […]
About Donica PhiferDonica Phifer grew up in Tishomingo, Miss with two older brothers whose extracurricular activities taught her all about sports at an early age. Before joining the Gazette staff as the Sports Editor, she was a sportswriter for The Daily Corinthian and the Online Editor for three years at The Daily Mississippian, the student newspaper of The University of Mississippi. In her free time she's usually at an Ole Miss sporting event, cheering on the Rebels.
Author Archive | Donica Phifer
Itawamba opened the second game of the 2016 season with a statement. Senior quarterback Austin King hit receiver Caleb Whittle for a 68 yard touchdown pass on the first snap of the ball, and the Indians went up 7-0 on the Bulldogs en route to a 21-7 win. Both teams racked up over a 100 […]
NEW ALBANY – One pass made all the difference. The Bulldogs 7-0 win over Bruce in the season opener came in the first quarter as quarterback Sam McMillin hit senior wide receiver Sam Cagle with a touchdown pass. “It was all we needed,” McMillin said, “It was enough.” Following that score, the two offenses entered into […]
TUPELO – In 2015 when the Pontotoc Red Sox made it to the title game in the Senior Legion Tournament, they were on the losing end. On Sunday, the Red Sox took home the trophy, posting a 13-3 game final over the Tupelo 49ers just hours after the 49ers handed the team an 8-3 loss. […]
NEW ALBANY – It started with a flyer. A Nickelodeon Kids Tennis Clinic advertisment was placed into the hands of Sarah Garrett in 2012 and Garrett took a chance, she signed up her then four-year-old son Everett to attend. Everett stepped onto a tennis court for the first time at that event at the BNA […]
NEW ALBANY – A helping of dodgeball, a dash of volleyball and just a pinch of soccer. It might sound odd, but when combined, those three games make up what is known as ga-ga ball; a friendly competition brought to Union County by the youth group at Harmony Baptist Church. Ga-ga ball, which also known […]
PEARL – East Union closed the book on their baseball season with a bit of gold. The Urchins defeated Loyd Star in a 5-1 final on Saturday, earning the series sweep to claim the Class 2A state championship. That win is a first for the program, which made their seventh appearance in Pearl this year. […]
PEARL – East Union turned in a complete performance on the field on Tuesday, taking a 5-1 win over Loyd Star and a 1-0 lead in the Class 2A Championship Series at Trustmark Park. On offense, Joel Wilkinson provided the spark for the Urchins, finishing with two RBIs from a base clearing triple that put […]
OXFORD – For the fifth consecutive year, the Bulldogs brought home a state title. New Albany defeated Newton County 6-1 for the Class 4A tennis championship, in seven matches that could have gone either way through the opening sets. “I think just the excitement of the day, it made it a bit closer of a […]
OXFORD – New Albany closed out the 2016 tennis season with a few more titles. Seven members of the Bulldogs team finished the season as state champions after the three-day Class 4A Individual Tournament in Oxford. “It’s been a great week,” Bulldogs head coach Suzy Bowman said, “Just a storybook ending for all my seniors, they […]
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...