Mississippi’s Tortured History with Alcohol, and How a New Albanian Stopped the Double Standard, is the topic of this month’s Museum Moments this Thursday, Oct. 20, at noon at the Union County Heritage Museum. The famous incident of Union County native and then Hinds County Sheriff Thomas Shelton’s raid on the Jackson Country Club is […]
About New Albany Gazette
Author Archive | New Albany Gazette
The youths of West Tallahatchie Baptist Church have been working on goody bags for all of our local emergency professionals for about a month. Each Wednesday night they would focus on a different group. A couple of weeks ago they held an event at their church on Sunday night to invite everyone to their church […]
“The Mississippi Department of Transportation has announced updates to several major infrastructure improvement projects in the Northern Transportation District,” said Commissioner Mike Tagert. “The projects are located throughout Itawamba, Monroe, Pontotoc and Union counties in the northeastern portion of the state and will greatly improve safety and mobility in the region.” · State Route 15 […]
2016 National School Bus Safety Week: October 17-21, 2016 Union County School District is going to focus on ensuring their students know the safety rules of a bus. Also, National School Bus Safety is a time for bus drivers to be thanked for transporting precious children each and every day. Below are some rules […]
By Lisa Bryant General Manager How many times have you wanted to talk to your child, but said, I might as well text him or her? What happened to talking to each other? What has happened is no one wants to take the time to actually talk. We want to tell someone what we need […]
Is it really fair to declare the Mississippi Adequate Education Program (MAEP) a failure when it has truly only been funded a single time in 20 years? The next year, student achievement jumped. One single, successful test and MAEP is now labeled a failure by the leadership, which now declares it s time to revise […]
By Camille Anding He’s the baby and our baby which makes him very special. James, or James Wesley – which I like to call him, didn’t pick his birth order. He had no choice about being the caboose and “baby brother.” It was not his idea to always be Patton’s puppy dog led around by […]
Tupelo, MS- United Blood Services has issued an emergency appeal for O-negative blood type donors. Reserves of O negative type blood are depleted to a less than one day supply on the shelves. Only six percent of the population has O-negative blood, yet hospital trauma centers reach for it first. That’s because O-negative blood is […]
The Union County Literacy Council held their annual bake sale on Saturday, Oct. 1. It was held at the New Albany Community Center. They thanked the many volunteers and bakers who contributed their goodies and time to help fight illiteracy, and thanked the Park Commission as well. The council is a non-profit organization that offers […]
By Margaret McCraw Last Sunday was certainly a beautiful Fall day with temperatures at 48 degrees when I headed to church about 9: 15 a.m. We still need rain so we can lift the burn bans. Bro. Mike had 40 present last Wednesday morning for student breakfast. Sunday, Oct. 16, our church was to recognize […]
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...