The New Albany Municipal Separate School District ended the fiscal year a little better off financially than officials expected. Director of Accounting Services Suzanne Coffey reminded trustees at their meeting Thursday that the district started it new fiscal year July 1 and this is traditionally the month when many large one-time payments are made for […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
It may seem like New Albany and Union County are always having elections, and it turns out we have gained yet another for November. The one elected seat on the city school board, which formerly came up for a vote in the spring, has been moved to the November ballot. The qualifying period begins almost […]
Union County’s unemployment rate rose again in June, but so did that of other counties and it turns out our increase was comparatively minimal. At a rate of 5.1 percent for the month, Union County tied with DeSoto and Madison counties – two of the most prosperous in the state – for second place. Lowest […]
“The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has announced updates to several major infrastructure improvement projects in the Northern Transportation District,” said Commissioner Mike Tagert. “The projects are located throughout Itawamba, Monroe, Pontotoc and Union counties in the northeastern portion of the state and will greatly improve safety and mobility in the region.” State Route […]
The New Albany Main Street Association will hold its annual Arts, Beats, & Eats event this Friday. This year the event will be catered and will feature local artisans and live music. It will be held in the downtown New Albany, on Aug. 5, at The Basement located at 100B West Bankhead Street. It will […]
Robin Matkin, right, Campaign and Communications Associate with United Way, accepts a check from BancorpSouth President Alan Greer. The money will be used to help pay for backpacks that will be distributed by United Way and Baptist Memorial Hospital at the back-to-school health fair this Saturday. “We always like to support our community as best […]
Everyone in the New Albany school system had their annual first group meeting Monday before classes start Thursday. The county district staff were to have theirs today. It was not unlike a pep rally. While there may have been some last-minute anxiety or jitters, especially for new teachers, everyone was clearly excited and optimistic about […]
Gary and Shirley Swain will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday, Aug. 7, at their home in Cornersville from 2 to 4 p.m. They were married on Aug. 5, 1966. They have two children, Greg Swain (wife Amy) from Cornersville and Jason Swain (wife Mindy) from Roseburg, Ore. They also have five grandchildren, Anna […]
The family of Irene Wood Murrah will honor her by celebrating her 90th birthday on Sunday, Aug. 7, at Union County Health and Rehab at 1111 Bratton Rd., from 2 to 4 p.m. The family requests no gifts.
Rain Bruff, Miss Union County, of Blue Springs, will be a contestant in the statewide Little Miss and Mr. Magnolia State Pageant finals in Vicksburg July 23-24. She is the daughter of Jeff Bruff and Christie Bruff. Over two hundred contestants ages 0-11 will be competing in the state finals to win one of the […]
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...