This has, unofficially at least, been Faulkner Week leading up to the Literary Fest Friday and Saturday. Perhaps the high point will be the awards presentation for the Faulkner writing contest winners but fans of the Nobel Prize-winning New Albany native got a different sort of treat Tuesday. Popular Cotton Plant native Dr. Kate Stewart […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
Oxford may have the edge on New Albany in things Faulkner. After all, the writer did live there and write there longer. But a group of community citizens interested in preserving his connection to Union County and promoting the culture and heritage he wrote about have quietly been making inroads toward the university area’s dominance. […]
The 2016 New Albany Homecoming Court was presented on Friday, September 16 in a pre-game ceremony at Kitchens Field. The court includes Maid Chloe Lang and escort Gray Spencer, Maid Morgan Ellis and escort Pierre Lenoir, Maid Mary Day and escort Dean Garrett, Homecoming Queen Alli Hodges and escort David Sizemore, Little Queen Maggie Grace […]
The search to find a part-time manager for the Magnolia Civic Center is expected to start next week. Members of the civic center board expressed a need for someone to manage the facility, which continues to grow in use, and city aldermen added funds for a part-time manager in their 2016-2017 budget. “We have a […]
A story in the Sept. 14 issue of the Gazette erroneously reported that Toyota is hiring tour guides in preparation for offering general tours of its Blue Springs plant. The job posting in question had already been filled and its purpose was to provide tours this summer for groups of teachers in preparation for student […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors officially approved the 2016-2017 budget Thursday at a called meeting. As expected, the budget is little changed from the past year’s and county taxes will not go up. County school taxes, like the New Albany city school taxes, will see an increase of about four percent. The new county […]
The Union County Board of Supervisors was expected to approve a $30,052,480 budget for next year at a special public hearing Thursday. Based on the preliminary figures, the budget will be up slightly, about 2.9 percent higher than the past year. The county tax levy will remain unchanged, but the county school tax levy will […]
Work is under way on a new retail and commercial project on East Bankhead Street. The project, being done by Pear Tree Plaza owner Mike Bailey, is between the post office and Dollar General store, but its size is deceptive based on what passersby can see from Bankhead Street. The property goes back and behind […]
Two street improvements are progressing well and a third is about to begin according to city and state officials. The Mississippi Department of Transportation is currently working on two projects in Union County, both of which the department says are progressing on schedule. The first project is a paving project on Mississippi 178 between Mississippi […]
Northern District Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley announced Wednesday that he will hold a public hearing regarding the instillation of a solar facility in Union County. The public hearing will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 28, at 10 a.m. at the Union County Courthouse located at 114 East Bankhead Street, New Albany, MS 38652. Citizens […]
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- Lee selected for Alcorn nursing program January 18, 2017
- Hillcrest Baptist Church to host Night to Shine Prom for people with special needs January 18, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- Weather Service to visit as part of severe storm awareness, training January 19, 2017
- Planning can save 15 percent at grocer’s January 19, 2017
- Elementary students honor King January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...