The Law Offices of Matthew Y. Harris, PLLC, is relatively new, although Harris himself has been practicing in New Albany nearly 17 years and has family ties to New Albany through his wife, J. J. He opened his own firm Aug. 1, 2015 and offers full legal services. “I got my law degree from Ole […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
The good news is that the Northeast Mississippi Community College campus at New Albany is so successful they need to expand. The bad news is that they don’t have enough room to do so. Northeast President Ricky Ford said this past week that if they are to add more credit classes and expand other programs, […]
By Lisa Bryant A team from the Bower Foundation and the Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Health Schools is going around to the schools to demonstrate the Move to Learn videos. The team has discovered that improving nutrition and physical activity will improve their academic studies. I don’t think this is a great surprise […]
Breast and lung cancer may get the bulk of publicity but people should not overlook colon cancer, Dr. H. F. Mason said Wednesday Colon cancer is the not only the third-highest killer among cancer for men and women, but also the third-highest disease overall, he said. Mason was guest speaker at an informational lunch sponsored […]
As efforts grow to help make children ready mentally and physically to enter kindergarten, more focus is being placed on chronic absenteeism as a factor limiting development and achievement. A study this past month measured chronic absentee rates throughout the state, assuming anyone who misses more than 10 percent of the school year, or 18 […]
UNITE – the Union County/New Albany Initiative to Excel, New Albany and Union County’s community foundation – will award more than $20,000 to 18 organizations at the annual grant presentation and fundraising dinner on Thursday, March 31. Greg Pirkle is the speaker for this special event, which will begin at 6:30 p.m. at the Hillcrest […]
The Historic Northside Neighborhood Association held it second meeting this past week after being restarted following several years of inactivity. The meeting was marked by much overlapping discussion but lack of clear direction. “We are still in the organizational phase,” president Bob Cornelius noted, and another of the members summed up the problem as “trying […]
In a reversal from previous years, the state legislature appears to be close to passing a bill that would make all superintendents of education in Mississippi appointive rather than elective. Senate Bill 2438 made it though the Senate and the House Education Committee unscathed and awaits action by the full House. State executive officials are […]
A concert is being planned to benefit the Lisa Mitchell Green and Growing Educational Scholarship. The fund-raiser will be at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 9, in the New Albany High School auditorium featuring Jeff Slaughter. Slaughter is Lisa’s cousin and is an internationally known Contemporary Christian musician based in Nashville. Slaughter has toured throughout the […]
This year’s “Night Out for New Haven” has been scheduled for Saturday, April 16, at 7 p.m. in the Magnolia Civic Center. This will be the seventh edition of the popular concert series, which is the primary fund-raiser for New Haven Center for Special Needs Adults. And for the seventh year also, entertainment will be […]
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...