Final work is nearing on city and county budgets, and that makes this a good time to re-evaluate the various departments and organizations the city helps fund. The tendency seems to have been just to “do what we did last year” in allocating money for the most part, which is natural. But aldermen need to […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
Career and technical students got bonus field trips to the Cine Theater this past week to learn about the new WorkKeys test going into effect. The test has been likened to the ACT, but from a technical career viewpoint. Students will have the opportunity to practice with the new test before taking it for credit […]
Crews from APAC Paving had milled Bankhead Street and were applying a leveling layer to fill in holes Wednesday before coming back with the final layer of asphalt. The project, from Hwy. 15 to the western edge of the city, was expected to be completed this week. Next, the city will install a box culvert […]
A Myrtle woman is free on $150,000 bond, charged with aggravated domestic assault for shooting her estranged husband, Doug. Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said Cathy White, 30, was arrested and charged about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday after the investigation into the reported shooting. Edwards said his department got a call about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday that a shooting […]
New Albany police made a quick arrest following an alleged armed robbery at Trio Sales on East Bankhead Street Tuesday afternoon. Police Chief Chris Robertson said two black males entered the store in the Sunflower Shopping Center about 1:30 p.m. “One pulled a handgun on the owner and demanded his wallet and cell phone,” the […]
Most people are familiar with the tax-free weekend created in part to help families save money on fall clothes for students. Likely somewhat less familiar is the so-called “Second Amendment” Sales Tax Holiday enacted by the legislature in 2014. This is also a tax-free weekend, but the exemption on retail sales tax applies only to […]
With only two weeks left before the deadline, Union County finally got one candidate who officially qualified for one of the school board seats that will be on the November ballot. According to the Union County Circuit Clerk’s office, incumbent Mickey Basil was certified to run for his seat representing the Second Union County School […]
Governmental offices, schools and some businesses will close Monday, Sept. 5, in observance of the Labor Day holiday. The holiday will affect solid-waste collection in New Albany with no service on Monday. The Monday route will be collected Tuesday and the Tuesday route will be collected Wednesday. County officials had not determined their schedule as […]
The U.S. Marshals Service is warning the public of a nationwide telephone scam involving individuals claiming to be U.S. marshals, court officers or law enforcement officials seeking to collect a fine in lieu of arrest for failing to report for jury duty. Local residents have reported that several in this community have been called with […]
The Tanglefoot Trail has proved to be of more value to our community than almost anyone imagined. Even now, people are just starting to realize we have barely dipped into its potential and are beginning, finally, to develop projects that enhance it. The county library, along with city and county officials are working – albeit […]
- Hurricane news January 10, 2017
- Election commissioners take oath of office January 12, 2017
- Letter: Progress only happens when we all work together January 12, 2017
- Cong. Kelly named to Armed Services, Agriculture committees January 12, 2017
- Eastern Lights January 12, 2017
- Overtime magic January 13, 2017
- City school superintendent Jackie Ford to retire January 12, 2017
- 2017 Ingomar Homecoming Court January 12, 2017
- City school board seats newest member January 12, 2017
- Museum program sure to be ‘quotable’ January 12, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...