New Albany aldermen managed to cram nearly 20 agenda items into an unusually brief monthly meeting Tuesday that lasted only about that many minutes. It only extended longer because they went into executive session to discuss possibly looking for land that could be used to house city utility offices or warehouses. No action resulted from […]
About Lynn West
Author Archive | Lynn West
The Union County Circuit Clerk’s office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon this Saturday for absentee voting in the March 8 presidential preference primary. Noon is the deadline to cast an absentee vote in person and 5 p.m. Monday is the deadline for mailed-in absentee ballots. On Tuesday, Union Countians will be expected […]
Anyone who needed to find out about a zoning law, sign ordinance, subdivision regulation, yard sale permit or other part of city law has had only one recourse in the past: call or go to City Hall and ask them to look it up. Copies simply have not been generally available. And even it they […]
People who live on Martintown Road south of the Tallahatchie River will probably have to take a different route into New Albany starting early next week. That’s because the bridge will be closed and the road blocked as a new replacement bridge is constructed. Third District Supervisor Dave Kitchens said the contractor who has been […]
In conjunction with Colon Cancer Awareness Month, Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County will host a luncheon for the community on Wednesday, March 23, at noon at Hillcrest Baptist Church Fellowship Hall, 216 Highway 15 South. Presented by Dr. H. F .Mason and Dr. Perrin Roten, general surgeons with Baptist Medical Group-New Albany Surgical Associates, the event […]
Anyone who would like to enjoy a four-course meal in an intimate setting accompanied by some live light jazz, blues and pop rock needs to act quickly. As of Wednesday, only about a dozen tickets were still available for “Music at the Magnolia,” which will be presented at the Magnolia Civic Center Saturday. The event […]
The Tallahatchie Arts Council will hold a two-night pottery class Monday, March 7, and Thursday, March 17. Each will be at 6 p.m. at the Art House at 205 Highland Ave. For the first night, participants will be making a textured bowl or a bowl with an accent of a bird, flower, heart, etc. and […]
Mississippi’s presidential preference primary is Tuesday. As they say on TV, “Big Whoop.” Considering that 32 states or territories including some of the largest have already held their primaries or caucuses, that Mississippi has only 40 (R) or 41 (D) delegates and that the state’s voting pattern is woefully predictable, our primary is pretty much […]
All Mississippi counties have had to completely redo election preparations little more than a week before the March 8 vote due to a ruling by the Mississippi Supreme Court. For some counties, it means completely reprinting all the paper ballots at considerable expense. Union County has gotten off comparatively lucky, however. The change is because […]
Only two candidates will be on the ballot for the vacant alderman-at-large seat in Myrtle March 15. It was initially reported that three people qualified to run for the seat: Randall Darling, who is retired from the New Albany Light, Gas and Water Department; Lisa Galloway, who is a nurse and manager of Sunshine Inn; […]
- Urchins outrun Bears in jamboree win August 18, 2016
- Klarksyn Denise Coleman birth announcement August 23, 2016
- Wilder to celebrate 90th birthday August 23, 2016
- Purvis couple celebrates 70th wedding anniversary August 23, 2016
- Hurricane news August 23, 2016
- Long ball drops Lady Hawks August 23, 2016
- Latest city school test scores good August 23, 2016
- Multi-faceted author John Hailman to be guest speaker at Faulkner Literary Luncheon August 23, 2016
- Delinquent tax land sale something of misnomer August 23, 2016
- Paul Rainey museum program returns by popular demand August 23, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...